Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Six years ago...

Six years ago today, in a hotel room in Washington DC, my (then) girlfriend said yes.

She agreed to marry me.

I had planned on asking her at the Lincoln Memorial or the Washington Monument....but when we arrived in DC, it was raining harder than I'd literally ever seen it rain (except maybe in Guam once). So I proposed in the room.
Minutes later, again literally, it stopped raining and we were able to go walk around. I always jump the gun in times like this.

This is her, just about an hour or so after agreeing to a lifetime with me. She looks remarkably calm.


Angelica and I....and Abe. I'm sweating bullets in the humidity (but I've got a little pattern going, which was nice) Dig those shorts too by the way.



While we had only been dating for about a year, our friendship goes way way back....

to the third grade in fact. 

That's me on the left in the very cool 70's (because it WAS the 70's) Giants shirt. My friend and future wife is in the back row, upper right with a white headband. Isn't she cute?

We weren't just classmates. We were friends. I was a shy, nice kid. So was she. Around the 4th or 5th grade, we both developed (some might say) an infatuation with The Beatles. It was this common interest that I think really cemented a life long friendship. To this day I act like I know more about The Beatles than she does but really, I'm a dunce compared to her insight on the subject. 

I remember going to see The Police in concert when I was in the 7th grade. I also remember an argument I had with a classmate over Sting. I had made the comment that Sting was the drummer for The Police. This was long before the internet...I just thought, "how could the drummer not have the coolest name ever? He's the drummer! He's GOTTA be Sting". Of course I know now that "Sting" is the lead singer and bassist.

On one of our first dates, over 20 years later, she brings this conversation up. She called me on it. I felt really bad because I remembered the "discussion" from years ago....I just didn't remember it was her who I'd made an utter fool of myself to. Once again, her musical knowledge trumped mine.

Our high school years are kind of interesting. I don't remember her, she doesn't remember me. Although, I might add my graduation partner was her best friend, and her graduation partner was one of my best friends. 

And that was that.

I attended our 10 year HS reunion in 1999. I was in the Air Force at the time. I spot her from across the way and run over and give her a big hug. She was beautiful. The sweet little girl I had grown up with was a woman, and holy smokes would I have asked her out on the spot, but it wasn't meant to be at that time. It was genuinely nice to see her and was one of the highlights of the reunion for me. 

And once again, that was that.

About 5 years later, I get an e mail. It's from Angelica. She had the gall to act like I might not remember her. She's very unassuming, which is one of the things I absolutely love about her. 

In the e mail she told me how she was doing and asked how things had been for me. I remembered seeing her at our reunion and what a vision she was. Once again, it wasn't meant to be...but it was wonderful to hear from my friend.

Life is funny. Within a few short months, my life had been thrown completely for a loop. I was sharing a spare bedroom in my parents house with my toddler daughter. I was now living in the same town as my old friend Angelica. I e mailed her and asked for her number. I called her. We met for a milkshake and fries.

And the rest is history.

She is a wonderful wife, a great mother not only to Matthew, our son with autism, but to Karen our daughter. 

She has supported and encouraged me like no one else before and I would truly be lost without her.

This is the whole family last weekend. 


And that's that.

1 comment: