Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Autism Awareness videos


Making movies is a hobby of mine. It started in an English class in which we studied documentaries instead of literature. We were required to make several short films for the class. That's where I got my start. I wanted to do things like this when I was a kid, but there were no computers back then to do most of the work. 

I've been working on "Say Cheese", the film about my son and autism...but it's really tough because I'm still not 100% sure where I want to go with it. In the meantime I've made several short films.

I'm not telling anyone with a  child diagnosed with autism something they don't already know. They're not really my target audience at this point. My audience is those people who may be in doubt. Those people who have concerns about their own child. 

I scoured the internet daily, looking for examples to compare my son to. Some examples sucked, to be honest. 

I'm making these videos short and hopefully very clear. I'm tackling one aspect at a time and trying to show respect for my son and my audience at the same time.

This is part 1.


Part 2.





This was made last friday while my wife took our son to therapy.  I was overwhelmed by how quiet and still everything was around the house with him not there. I realized just how much he is missing out on because he has to go to therapy...even over summer break.I decided to document how I was feeling and just how empty it was without him there.
This short film is the result.


No comments:

Post a Comment